3Dup.com - The Computer Graphics Portal
3D Game Engine Toolset Now Available for Free Download
3Dup.com - November 09, 2009 - 14:24
Epic Games, Inc. announces the launch of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), a free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides community access to the toolset like never before. This software release is available to anyone interested in using 3D game engine technology, including game developers, students, hobbyists, researchers, creators of 3D visualizations and simulations, and digital filmmakers.
Benefits of UDK include the following:
About Unreal Engine 3
- Immediate access to Unreal Engine 3, the critically acclaimed 3D game engine technology for cross-platform game development.
- Easy content creation with the Unreal Editor, a fully integrated suite of top-tier development tools, which comes complete with:
- Unreal Content Browser, a revolutionary tool for browsing, searching and organizing game assets with collaborative metadata tagging system.
- UnrealScript object-oriented programming language and Unreal Kismet, a visual scripting system that enables rapid prototyping
on the fly.
- Unreal Matinee, a powerful tool with movie director-class controls for building in-game cinematics and gorgeous cut scenes.
- Unreal Cascade, an advanced particle physics and environmental effects editor that aids the creation of fire, fog, explosions and other visuals.
- NVIDIA® PhysX®-powered physics system with Unreal PhAT visual modeling tool for creating character and object physics rigs.
- Unreal Lightmass, a global illumination system that dramatically lights and shadows with minimal effort required by artists and designers.
- AnimSet Viewer and AnimTree Editor, which give animators precise control over every muscle and bone movement.
- Time saved thanks to technology integrations with leading game development middleware tools including SpeedTree®, Bink Video®, and FaceFX®.
- Output of standalone applications: Games created with UDK run entirely on their own with no additional software required.
This means anyone can make UDK content and distribute it for free.
The Unreal Engine is known for cutting-edge graphics and its best-of-breed toolset. Unreal Engine 3 maintains those features in addition to multi-core processor support, Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 optimizations, massive world support, and a highly mature tool pipeline.
More Information at www.udk.com. Image Courtesy of Epic Games, Inc.